This blog post is offered as a public service to remind all of you that your HVAC system needs regular and recurring maintenance to prolong the life and the performance of your systems. We know for a fact that HVAC systems are the most neglected of the homeowner’s major support systems. We hope that you wisely turn to the professionals like us here at Central Plumbing and Heating to guarantee that you secure proper maintenance and maximize the lifespan of your systems. But if you choose to go it alone, the following are furnace maintenance tips that will help you maximize the performance of your heating system throughout winter.
1. Hire a professional tune-up - Again, always your best choice. Schedule a professional tune-up bi-annually. Certified technicians will check the unit for any operational issues and will carry out the upkeep procedure such as cleaning in order to prevent it from malfunctioning in the future, improve its efficiency and ensure that the system is operating safely.
2. Clean the Filters Regularly - A dirty filter is a usual cause of issues and efficiency problems.
The filter must be checked, cleaned or changed monthly.
3. Test the CO detectors - CO detector serves as a warning device that detects a carbon monoxide leak which can be life-threatening. CO detectors must be tested to ensure they are working properly. Also, make sure that the batteries are new during the heating season.
4. Let air registers breathe - The furnace may find it difficult to heat your home evenly when any of the air registers are blocked off. Make sure they are open and remove any obstructions.
5. Inspect the pilot light in older furnaces - Make sure an older furnace with a pilot light is burning bright blue. In case you notice a different color, it indicates inefficient burning and you may need to contact your trusted HVAC technician to check the issue.
6. Outdoor exhaust pipes must be blocked - Gas furnaces that are highly efficient have exhaust pipes that lead outside the home and close the ground. In order to ensure it operates safely and efficiently, make sure pipes are not blocked.
7. Keep the area around the system clear - Clear the area around the furnace so it is easy to access during inspection, maintenance or repairs.
For more furnace maintenance tips, contact Central Plumbing and Heating, Inc.